Wednesday, January 27, 2010

André Kertész


I stumbled upon a some photographs by this guy from a series called "Distortions". I absolutely love them. They are from the 1933, so I'm not exactly cutting edge with this one. Two models, Najinskaya Verackhatz and Nadia Kasine, were posed with mirrors to look, well, distorted.

.. the best part, is they appeared in a 1930's "girly magazine" called Le Sourire. The thought of men masturbating to these dripping limbs, mutated breasts, and melting faces is a bit charming.



I started to realize that he kind of ripped off Dali big time. I mean, he did this next one just two years after The Persistence of Memory. Oh well.

So long as we're talking about things that warp and distort, it turns out 180 micrograms of LSD - or a hit and a half of acid as my friend Boozehound would prefer I say - is a very uncomfortable amount for me. Lesson learned.

I also checked out Andre's later work. I really like this one from New York, 1959.

I can't explain exactly what, but there is something great about the midget being nearly on the sidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment