Thursday, January 28, 2010

Kennedy and Monroe

I am surprised this gem from the 125 rare photos of famous people that has been going around isn't getting more attention on it's own. It seems scandalous for an affair that, from what I've understood, has always been common knowledge but never proven. Even if the thing is a fake I would expect people to talk a little more about it.

Moreover though I find it a really emotional photo. The idea of the nation's most powerful man and beloved beauty, clutching each other with fear and desperation, frowning, slumped and awkward, on the ground, undignified and small.

They don't look like people madly in love, at least not anymore. They look like people and who know how weak and sad the other is, but wants to hold them all the same. There is really only the slightest sliver of a difference in those things, and I think this is a rare peek at where one ends and the other has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment